Dental Implants vs Dentures
Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC
Traditionally, people missing all of their teeth resorted to dentures for replacement teeth. Thanks to advances in dental science, this no longer has to be the future for patients who have lost all of their teeth. More and more people are choosing to restore their smile, and their lifestyle, by receiving state-of-the-art dental implants.
Are you trying to decide which tooth replacement option is right for you? Here is a comparison of dental implants and dentures to help in your decision-making process.
- Preserve your supporting bone structure, because the implant screw itself replaces the root of the missing tooth. This prevents a sunken-in facial appearance, which is a common long-term development for dentures wearers.
- Feel and function like natural teeth.
- Easy to maintain – just brush and floss them like you would real teeth.
- The only virtually permanent tooth replacement option available.
- Fit securely in your mouth because the implant screw is surgically inserted into the jawbone. Implants will not slip or shift, and there is no need for creams or adhesives.
- Have a 95 percent success rate.
- Less expensive, but often less effective, and with a lower success rate than implants.
- Can look and feel fake or unnatural compared to natural teeth or other tooth replacement options.
- Need to be replaced every seven to 15 years to maintain a proper alignment of your bite.
- Can slip and shift when eating or talking, causing mouth sores and discomfort.
- Often lead to restricted dietary choices, as it can be difficult to chew certain foods with dentures.
- Must regularly be removed for cleaning, and typically entail the purchase of creams and adhesives to help maintain them and/or secure them in place.
Dentures are one of the most affordable tooth replacement options available. Dental implants do have a higher initial cost than dentures, but when you factor in the additional costs associated with dentures—such as adhesives, cleaning solutions, and appointments to have dentures repaired or replaced—implants are the better long-term investment. Plus, implant patients have no dietary restrictions related to their tooth replacement treatment and avoid the “sunken in” facial appearance that happens with many denture wearers over time.
Support of bone structure
The greatest advantage of dental implants is the continued stimulation of the supporting bone structure in the mouth. Over time, any individual who loses teeth will experience bone deterioration, because the jawbone no longer receives stimulation from the tooth root. The implant screw, however, replaces the root, allowing a patient to maintain bone density and with it the integrity of his or her facial structure.
Dentures are notorious for slipping and shifting in the mouth when a person eats and speaks. These slips can be embarrassing, and also uncomfortable. Dentures also can irritate the gums, eventually creating painful sores in the mouth.
Denture wearers often encounter some limitations in their dietary choices, as it can be difficult to chew certain foods. Implants are stronger and more stable, allowing a patient with implants to eat whatever they want without fear of damaging their tooth replacements.
Denture patients have to remove their dentures to be cleaned on a regular basis. Implants, however, are permanently installed in the mouth. They are cleaned with normal brushing and flossing just like real teeth.
Implants have several advantages that dentures lack, but that does not mean implants are right for everyone. Click here to evaluate whether you are a good candidate for dental implants.
Whichever treatment you choose, there is no reason to live with the lost self-esteem and potential long-term health ramifications that come from living with missing teeth. To learn more about implants, call the office of SC Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry at (864) 647-9000 to schedule a consultation.
SC Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry is here to serve patients living in the areas of Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC.