Dental Implants – Are you a Candidate
Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC
Are you living with a missing tooth or even several lost teeth? If so, you should consider receiving a dental implant. An implant is the only tooth replacement available that includes a permanent base that takes the place of the lost tooth root—just one reason why dental implants are considered to be on the cutting edge of modern restorative dentistry.
Dental Implants – Experience the difference
- Long-lasting – Implants not only look and feel completely natural, but are durable and permanent as well. Other tooth replacements such as bridges, partial dentures and dentures have limited lifespans, which means they may need to be replaced about every 5-10 years.
- Prevents jawbone loss – The implant screw itself is what distinguishes dental implants from other tooth replacement options. Made from medical-grade titanium, this screw is surgically inserted into the jaw, fusing to the bone and serving as a “new” tooth root. Other tooth replacement options do not replace the root of the missing tooth. Replacing the root is so important because it stimulates the jawbone, which prevents the body from resorbing it. Receiving an implant eliminates the risk of bone deterioration that leads to a collapsed bite, early signs of aging, and a “sunken-in” face, which is a common long-term consequence of individuals living with tooth loss.
- Natural results – Dental implants feel, function, and look like natural teeth. Patients with implants maintain them the same way they do their other teeth and can eat, drink and smile with confidence. With dental implants, there is no need to limit your diet – you are free to eat what you would like without worry.
Replace one or multiple teeth with dental implants
Implants can be used to replace a single tooth, replace multiple teeth or even be installed to replace an entire arch of teeth. The All-On-4 system is an excellent option for patients not wanting dentures. This revolutionary system is known as “Teeth in a Day,” because you can literally have new teeth, implants and all, in just one day! The All-On-4 system consists of a full arch of replacement teeth, supported by four implants that are inserted at strategic locations in the dental arch.
Are dental implants right for me?
The advantages of implants are well known, but dental implants are not right for everyone. A qualified restorative dentist evaluates each patient on a case-by-case basis to determine the viability of implants as a treatment option. Some of the factors that should be considered include:
- Healthy gums – The condition of your gum tissue is important because it will determine how your body handles having the implant surgically inserted, as well as the healing process following that portion of the procedure. Patients with gum disease are not considered good candidates for dental implants and should have the gum disease treated first.
- Good oral health – Aside from the tooth or teeth that an implant replaces, a good candidate should have no other issues with their oral health that may hinder the success of the dental implant.
Implants also are not a good treatment option for children. Non-smoking adults are preferred in determining the viability of a dental implant candidacy since smoking can impede the healing process.
You should only seek the care of a dentist with significant training and experience with dental implants when considering this procedure. Choosing a dentist who is adept in oral surgery also is key, as that experience will be crucial when the dental implant is installed into the jawbone.
To learn more about dental implants, your first step is to call the office of SC Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry today at (864) 647-9000 and schedule a consultation.
SC Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry welcomes patients living in the areas of Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC.