Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC
The impact of living with lost teeth can go far beyond just affecting your ability to chew and making you feel self-conscious about your smile.
Long term, living with a lost tooth can cause a variety of subsequent issues, including:
- Bite misalignment
- Damage to existing dental work
- Damage to other teeth
- TMJ Disorder
- Pain or discomfort when chewing
- Gum recession
- Loss of supporting jaw-bone
- Teeth drifting out of place
At SC Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, we can replace a missing tooth by installing a dental bridge, which fills the gap of the lost tooth. It consists of the tooth replacement itself with an abutment at either end, which attaches to the remaining teeth on either side of the gap.
Advantages of bridges
- Durable. A bridge is one of the longest-lasting restorative treatment options available, with a typical lifespan of 10 years.
- Stability. Bridgework is bonded directly into the mouth as opposed to partial dentures, which can slip and must be removed to be cleaned. To clean your bridge, simply brush and floss it just as you do your other natural teeth.
SC Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry offers two types of bridges: PFM (porcelain-fused-to-metal) and metal-free.
PFM bridges add a metal sub-structure underneath top-quality dental porcelain that is tooth-colored. This metal allows the porcelain to hold up in areas of the mouth that have an inordinate amount of stress, such as the back teeth. This metal sub-structure can be made of one of a variety of metal alloys.
Metal-free bridges are made entirely of high-quality dental porcelain. This makes it the ideal aesthetic choice, as dental porcelain has the same light-reflecting quality as the enamel on your teeth. The porcelain also can be color matched to look like your existing teeth, making it virtually indistinguishable in your mouth. The metal-free option is also an ideal choice for patients with a metal allergy.
Why live with the inconvenience and potential health ramifications of missing teeth? Contact the office of SC Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry at (864) 647-9000 to learn more about bridges, or any of the restorative options we have available.
SC Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry is here to serve patients in the areas of Oconee County, Clemson, & Seneca SC.